You vs. The World: How one person can change the perspective of others

Posted on

Written by Hope Dickson

The saying “There is strength in numbers” is an old proverb that we may have had heard at some point in our lives. Sound familiar?

 

We are going to talk about numbers for a minute. Now, I have never been good at math so bear with me on this.

 

Last year, Clayton State University reported that there are 6,996 students that go to their campus according to the CSU website. You are 1 out of that 6,996 in statistics, or you make up .14 percent of Clayton State’s population.

 

Let’s think a little bigger now. According to the U.S. Census Bureau last year, the State of Georgia reported that there are 10.31 million people within the state lines. You are 1 out of 10,310,000 people or

.00001 percent of Georgia’s population.

 

Getting the picture yet? The larger the number, the smaller percentage you are as an individual that makes up that particular population. We are going to come back to these numbers in a minute.

 

I am sure you have turned on the news recently and have an opinion of what is going on in the United States. If you don’t have an opinion, you might be like so many others in not being sure how to comprehend what is going on because of the intensity of everything.

 

This is 2017, so why are we experiencing so much hate in today’s world? The answer: “There is strength in numbers.”

 

The more people that gather for a cause, the stronger their cause is. With that being said, in light of the recent events going on in the United States, what can we do to fight back against the numbers that reflect a hate filled purpose?

 

One of the main problems that we are facing with the events in the last few weeks is that the media is only telling us information to get a response out of us. That is their job though, to tell us their interpretation of what is going on and to leave out the information that could be vital to the situation. The media gets paid to influence chaos, that is how we stay in the “know”.

 

However, why keep picking at an open wound instead of giving it a chance to heal? How do we stop the hate and give America a chance to heal? How do we influence the media for the better?

 

These questions may or may not ever get answered, however, we do have the opportunity to answer them. If enough of us wanted to inflict a positive change to our society, the numbers could do wonders. Think about it, instead of having thousands of people gathering and creating violence, there would be thousands of people gathered to create something that can make the world a better place.

 

I have an idea, let’s alternate the proverb to instead read, “There is strength in numbers that choose to do good.”

 

Those numbers at the beginning of this article reflected something bigger, but what exactly? Even though each of us as an individual reflect such a small percentage, imagine what a group that makes up 85% of those populations could do if they start putting the other 15% first before themselves. Imagine what that 85%  could do if they gathered in peace to create a historical moment. Could they even change the minds of the other 15%?

 

Let’s start treating others how we want to be treated. It shouldn’t matter if you are Caucasian, African-American, Hispanic, Asian, etc. We are all human. We all have feelings and thoughts. We all have a history that we should strive to not repeat.

 

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. We know that history didn’t work, that’s why we had to change it over time. Let’s not repeat history, but instead learn from it and do the complete opposite.

 

The younger generation is watching us, let’s give them a world that they can live in where they can grow up in peace instead of hate. We do this by treating others like we want to be treated, by putting others before ourselves, and by inflicting positive change.

 

Are you up for the challenge?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.